Baby K’tan Review & Giveaway: The Wrap without the Wrapping!
My daughter is currently 10 months old and while she is walking fairly consistently, I’m not comfortable letting her free to run around outside. I love baby wearing because it eliminates the need for a stroller and keeps my hands free. Because let’s face it… babies nap better and longer when they’re closer to a parent. Before I know it, I won’t be able to carry her around so I’m enjoying it now!
Baby K’tan recently sent us one of their amazing carriers to review*. While we reviewed quite a few baby wearing carriers, Baby K’tan wasn’t on our list simply because we hadn’t had the opportunity to try it! Retailing at $49.95, I couldn’t justify buying one when no one I know had tried it. Yes, we moms rely on word-of-mouth referrals.
So even though this carrier is fairly new on the market, it has quickly become one of my favorites. In fact, as I’m typing up this review, my daughter is currently asleep comfortably in the Baby K’tan. When I pop her in, she’s asleep within minutes! The closeness and snuggle factor this wrap provides is very comforting for baby and comfortable for me. Want one? Enter our Giveaway below!
5 Reasons Why we Love the Baby K’Tan Carrier
- It’s versatile! You can wear baby so many ways from 8-35 pounds. Wear your newborn (or TWINS!) up to toddler in a cradle carry, hip carry, facing you, facing away from you, on your back, etc! I was especially thrilled by the FORWARD FACING option. I refused to carry my children forward facing in any other carrier because I felt uncomfortable having them dangle by their crotch and putting the weight on their spines. With the Baby K’Tan, the baby is supported by the fabric in a seated position so the weight is on their bottoms and not their crotches. The carrier itself doesn’t look like it would support baby because it’s so soft, but the fabric is not as stretchy as the Moby Wrap.
- It’s compact and not bulky. As much as I LOVE the Ergo Baby, the carrier itself is very bulky. Working at home with a sleeping baby asleep in the Baby K’tan is comfortable and it moves with you as many wraps do. I can sit at the table or on the couch working without feeling like the carrier rises up on my body. So this carrier feels just like a wrap, without all the wrapping! I can even comfortably carry a diaper bag or purse without it sliding off my shoulders. SCORE!
- It’s quite supportive. When the straps are correctly crossed at the center of your body, the weight of baby is evenly distributed across your back and shoulders (when baby is in the front). The carrier holds baby very tight against your body for support. I don’t know if I would want to carry a 35 pound child in the wrap though.
- It’s convenient to carry. The wrap folds up and fits into a little pouch built into the carrier. This keeps the carrier clean and packed up nicely to store and carry with you. The second piece that wraps around baby and body reverses and everything is stuffed into the little pocket with a draw string.
- It’s machine washable! As a mom, I refuse to utilize anything often if it cannot be thrown into the wash!
Check out the video below comparing the Baby K’Tan to a traditional wrap style baby carrier!
- These carriers are sized (i.e. XS, S, M, L). So if you and your partner are different sizes, you would have to get two different sizes. For example, I wear an XS but my husband would need a L.
- It’s not adjustable so it didn’t look like it will fit at first. Plus, because of the design, the carrier must fit tightly against your body. This may be uncomfortable for some people, especially if you are in between sizes because when choosing the right size, you must go down a size if you are on the fence.
- It is a unique design and can be challenging to learn how to use correctly. Like any carrier, it took me several days of practicing before I felt comfortable attempting to pop my daughter in in public. The carrier does come with an instruction manual that I studied and followed the provided steps, but Youtube also has several videos to help you learn how to use the carrier correctly. I have yet to master the back carry with the Baby K’tan.
- The standard Baby K’tan comes in 5 colors: Heather Grey, Eggplant, Basic Black, Warm Cocoa Brown, Sage Green.
- Baby K’tan also has an Organic and “BREEZE” option. We chose to review the Eggplant Baby K’tan carrier. On hot Sacramento days like today, I carry my daughter in just a diaper and with no zippers or buckles, I don’t have to worry about her sensitive skin. But in addition to a few organic options, Baby K’tan also has a BREEZE carrier that is made of a soft and breathable mesh fabric that will keep you and your baby cool on hot summer days.
FINALLY… ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY!
Thanks to Baby K’tan, we have one carrier to giveaway. The GIVEAWAY starts 5/14/2013. The winner will be selected by random and we will announce the winner on our blog and Facebook page after the deadline of 5/26/2013. The winner will be emailed instructions how to claim their selected size and color of the Baby K’tan carrier.
- Like us on Facebook!
- Like Baby K’Tan on Facebook!
- Leave us a comment on THIS BLOG POST below with the following information: (a) Confirming that you liked Chic Baby AND Baby K’tan on Facebook, (b) Share why you want a Baby K’Tan Carrier, (c) Share something new you learned about the Baby K’Tan in this blog post.
- Make sure you follow our Facebook page as we will be announcing the winner!
We will be contacting the winner at the end of the month! Good luck!
*NOTE: Baby K’Tan sent us a carrier to review and we are not being compensated for this review.